Media app updates: New Yorker Today adds landscape, CBS News adds adds Chromecast support
Google adds support for auto-play video inside Google Play Newsstand; Magzter update introduces an all-new Notifications center and help section
The week started out with a ton of media apps updated, many of them, such as for The Economist, were minor bug fix updates. But a fair share of more substantial updates were also released.
Here is a rundown:
- Aquafadas View: The previewer app for the Montpellier-based digital publishing platform received an iOS 10 SDK related update which included PDF and web reflow, as well as bug fixes.
- Glose: App description states that users “can now copy annotations and comments to your clipboard.”
- Google Play Newsstand: The update adds support for autoplaying videos and inline YouTube videos, as well as bug fixes.
- Magzter: The update introduces an all-new Notifications center and help section.
- Tapas: The eBook and graphic novels bookstore app now lets you invite friends in-app, has “refreshed” Library behavior, and fixes bugs and crash issues.
- WordPress: The iOS app is now up to version 6.8. “We thought we could make it a little clearer when our editor was publishing a post, or saving a draft, etc., Now the editors menu plainly states what will happen,” the app description states.
- Blippar: A major update brings the app up to version 2.0. Features include improved recognition, “richer” content, and a new design.
- Google Analytics: Users can now access all their goals through the new Goals report, segments are cleared when user switches to Google Analytics View, and several bug fixes.
- Barron’s: “In the 4.5.3 release, subscribers can now better share Barron’s with friends. Premium articles sent by subscribers via text or email are now fully accessible to non-subscribers.”
- CBS News: Update adds Chromecast support, a new Moneywatch “Trending” section, and fixes some bugs.
- CNN & CNN MoneyStream: The update for the main CNN app is simply for bug fixes, but the update for the MoneyStream app adds 3D Touch support. The app description says “put on your 3D glasses” – obviously someone at CNN has no clue what 3D Touch is.
- ESPN: A new section for the Caribbean Series and the World Baseball Classic added, plus a Headlines section.
- The New Yorker Today: This is the daily news app for the magazine, and now is supporting landscape orientation.
- The Washington Post Print Edition: This is the replica edition app for the Post. The update addresses a bug that caused the app to take up too much space.