IAB opens up proposals for rich mobile ad guidelines for public comments through Jan. 30
Some press releases could use a bit of an explanation, I think this is one of them. The Interactive Advertising Bureau has proposed an update to in-app ad guidelines and are opening those proposals up for comment through the month of January.
Among the new guidelines, the first major revision proposed in four years, involve best practices such as viewability and opt-in guidelines.
Look for the link to the proposals at the end of the release.
NEW YORK, NY – November 30, 2016 – The IAB Technology Laboratory has released for public comment an update to the Mobile Rich Media Ad Interface Definition (MRAID). The revised MRAID 3.0 provides technical guidance for improved user experience, faster ad rendering, viewability measurement, and Video Player Ad Interface Definition (VPAID) integration, among other advancements. Developed by members of the MRAID Working Group, this release marks the first major overhaul to MRAID in more than four years, and not only advances the specs, but also makes them more developer-friendly.
- Guidance on pre-loading ads and ensuring ads are shown to the user only when they are ready for display
- Viewability measurement by the viewable percentage of an ad, as well as clearer tracking on the presence of an ad
- Full integration with VPAID to permit video measurement within mobile ads leveraging MRAID
- Ability to discover whether access to device location is enabled, while further providing information about the location
- Audibility measurement to inform the ad if device audio is enabled and at what volume level
- Detection of relevant attributes that indicate whether an ad is running in MRAID-compliant web view at initialization time, while eliminating ambiguous interpretations
“In today’s mobile-centric world, guidelines that allow for interoperability are imperative,” said Alanna Gombert, Senior Vice President, Technology and Ad Operations, IAB, and General Manager, IAB Tech Lab. “These revised guidelines will further enhance and improve the rich mobile ad experience for consumers, while also improving ad effectiveness for advertisers and publishers.”
“With more accurate mobile viewability metrics, MRAID 3.0 creates better opportunities for publishers to monetize their inventory and for brands to understand the effectiveness of their campaigns,” said Anna Bager, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Mobile and Video, IAB. “The IAB Mobile Marketing Center of Excellence is impressed with the IAB Tech Lab’s continued development of the MRAID standard, and look forward to future cooperation on its advancement.”
To review MRAID 3.0, please go to iab.com/mraid.