President-elect cancels, then reschedules NYT meeting; Hamilton theater owner turns out to be Trump supporter
Morning Brief: Apple ‘dissolves’ wireless router division, sending engineers into other areas, as Apple continues to concentrate on more profitable products at the expense of brand extensions
The New York Times reported this morning that a scheduled meeting between Donald Trump and the paper had been canceled due to the president-elect would not agree to having part of the meeting be on-the-record. Yesterday, Trump met with media executives for what was solely an off-the-record meeting. Reports conflict as to whether the meeting involved Trump dressing down the media executives, or whether it was more cordial.
I cancelled today's meeting with the failing @nytimes when the terms and conditions of the meeting were changed at the last moment. Not nice
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 22, 2016
Trump accused the paper of changing the terms of the meeting, then later tweeted that a meeting still could take place, before finally tweeting a third time: “The failing @nytimes just announced that complaints about them are at a 15 year high. I can fully understand that – but why announce?”
[Later in the morning, the NYT reported that the meeting was back on: “Mr. Trump’s staff has told us that the president-elect’s meeting with The Times is on again. He will meet with our publisher off the record and that session will be followed by an on-the-record meeting with our journalists and editorial columnists.”
It will be interesting to see if he actually decides to answer any questions at the later meeting – stay tuned.]
Also yesterday, Trump released a YouTube video which outlined his agenda for the first 100 days, though in vague terms. The video, combined with the off-the-record meeting, signals that Trump and his team plan on using the strategies generally seen in less democratic countries, with the media divided into camps and the government only communicating through its surrogates and media partners. One can expect few, if any, press conferences (the last one Trump held was just before the first debate where he was sat with women who accused Bill Clinton of sexual harassment).
President-elect Donald J. Trump woke up on Tuesday to announce on Twitter that he was canceling a planned meeting with the “failing” New York Times, but would move ahead with meetings to form his government “for the next 8 years.” The news media continues to be his foil of choice.
“It was like a f−−−ing firing squad,” one source said of the encounter.
“Trump started with [CNN chief] Jeff Zucker and said, ‘I hate your network, everyone at CNN is a liar and you should be ashamed,’ ” the source said…
…“Trump kept saying, ‘We’re in a room of liars, the deceitful, dishonest media who got it all wrong.’ He addressed everyone in the room, calling the media dishonest, deceitful liars. He called out Jeff Zucker by name and said everyone at CNN was a liar, and CNN was [a] network of liars,” the source said.
President-elect Donald Trump on Monday told a group of about 25 television executives and anchors that he wants a “cordial” and “productive” relationship with the media, according to one source in the room, but he still aired some grievances during the off-the-record gathering in Trump Tower.
The source said the meeting started with a typical Trump complaint about the “dishonest media,” and that he specifically singled out CNN and NBC News for example as “the worst.”
He also complained about photos of himself that NBC used that he found unflattering, the source said.
The whole Hamilton “lecture” story is sure to be a sneak peak into what we can expect for the next four years: one group calming conveying their point-of-view, followed by an aggressive backlash, with the media in the middle of it all. Also, one can expect that the spark that starts it all will get forgotten or confused as the process goes on. Few who have an opinion about what the actors said at the end of a performance of the musical in NYC have actually seen the video or read the transcript – the message of which was very elegantly presented – and so the retelling can be very different from the reality.
Here are two stories related to the Hamilton incident – one about a Canadian theatre chain, the other is about the actual NYC theater where the play in current appearing:
Now — because the MAGA crew hasn’t realized that there is no point in “boycotting” a show that is already sold out for months — Trump and Pence defenders on Twitter are leading a crusade against the show. Which would be fine, I guess, but if you’re going to hate-tweet you should probably tag the correct Hamilton. Instead of @-ing Broadway’s Hamilton, some on Twitter have been wrongly directing their tweets at the Hamilton Theatre in Ontario, which is currently mounting a production of The Toxic Avenger, a show in which a man in New Jersey is dumped into a vat of toxic sludge and emerges as a “seven-foot mutant freak with superhuman strength and a heart as big as Newark.” Easy to see how people got confused here…
…Weirdly, this isn’t the first time a Pence-related Twitter mix up has put a random person/place in the crossfires of political Twitter. User @MikePence, who is not that Mike Pence, has been having a hell of a time since Trump announced the Indiana governor as his running mate back in July. Still, here’s hoping the Hamilton boycott makes it easier for the rest of us to get tickets sometime before the next presidential election, in 2020.
Conservatives in Middle America are still reeling over the “audacity” of Broadway actors to speak directly to Vice President-elect Mike Pence in support of diversity and safety for all, but it seems there’s another wrinkle to add to the story of Mike Pence getting booed and a heart-felt plea from the cast while attending “Hamilton” on Broadway on Saturday.
According to Federal Election Commission filings, James L. Nederlander, Vice President of the Nederlander Organization, which owns multiple theaters in New York – including the Richard Rodgers Theatre where “Hamilton” is enjoying its sold-out run – donated $2,700 (the legal limit) to Donald Trump’s campaign for president and $30,000 to the Trump Victory Fund, the joint fundraising project of the RNC and the Trump campaign. Both donations were made on June 30, 2016.
I can certainly understand why Apple would shutdown a product line – it may be unprofitable, it may be a distraction, it may be outdated and with declining demand. So, the fact that Apple is exiting the router business is, on the surface, no big deal. But one also senses that the reasons Apple was in the router business to begin with may have been lost on the company.
Apple’s peripheral products were designed create an ecosystem, and also to ensure quality and security across the line. If Apple, with its 66K direct US employees didn’t have time for the router business – let along timely updates to such products as iBA – one has to wonder what many Apple employees do during the day.
Apple has dissolved its division which develops wireless routers and is now sending engineers who worked on the AirPort lineup into other product teams, including one currently working on Apple TV. The news comes from a report by Bloomberg, who said Apple has been slowly shutting down the division over the past year and made the decision “to try to sharpen the company’s focus on consumer products that generate the bulk of its revenue.”
Exiting the router business could make Apple’s product ecosystem less sticky. Some features of the AirPort routers, including wireless music playback, require an Apple device like an iPhone or Mac computer. If the company no longer sells wireless routers, some may have a reason to use other phones and PCs.