Salon.com names Alex Bhattacharji as executive editor
Hiring was one of the 11 announced today, which also included Carrie Sheffield as the senior politics and business reporter, and D. Watkins as editor at large
NEW YORK, NY – October 11, 2016— Salon.com, the flagship property of Salon Media Group, Inc. today announced a new slate of editors reflecting its commitment to the rapid evolution of the online publication towards a more progressive, multimedia platform that produces breakthrough content in politics, news, culture and entertainment, innovation, business and more. For its new content team, Salon has appointed a group of experienced and diverse voices including Alex Bhattacharji as executive editor; Carrie Sheffield as the senior politics and business reporter; D. Watkins as editor at large and Chauncey DeVega as senior reporter of news and politics, among others.
Salon’s newly enlarged team will contribute to the expansion of its high-quality election coverage, offering a broader range of viewpoints related to this year’s historic campaign. The new additions span across the editorial, video production and podcast production teams. Joining the editorial team are:
- Executive Editor Alex Bhattacharji – A seasoned media professional with over 20 years of experience producing engaging content for top publications like The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Details Magazine, Entertainment Weekly and Sports Illustrated.
- Cover Editor Jeremy Binckes – An established editor for some of the top newsrooms in the nation, Binckes has written for The New York Daily News and Yahoo News.
- Senior Reporter of News and Politics Chauncey DeVega – An essayist, cultural critic and host of his own podcast show, DeVega has written for Newsweek, The New York Daily News and The Huffington Post.
- Deputy Editor Manny Howard – A veteran magazine editor, Howard has written and edited for The New York Times Magazine, New York, GQ, Esquire, Rolling Stone, Cosmopolitan, and National Geographic, among many others.
- Contributing Editor Alli Joseph – A dominant voice in Native American Affairs, Joseph is an award-winning journalist and has worked as a senior writer, producer and host for programs at NBC, CBS News and VH1. She sits on the board of the Native American Journalists Association and the American Indian Community House.
- Senior Politics and Business Reporter Carrie Sheffield – A writer and political analyst, Sheffield is the founder of the conservative millennial website Bold and has written for The Wall Street Journal, TIME, USA Today, The New York Times, The Washington Post and Huffington Post. She has also appeared as a commentator on Fox News, MSNBC, CNN and HBO’s Real Time with Bill Maher.
- Political Reporter Matthew Sheffield – A writer, producer and web developer, Sheffield is the editor and publisher for Praxis and has written for The Washington Post, The National Review and The American Conservative.
- Editor at Large, D. Watkins – A New York Times best-selling author, columnist and lecturer and professor at the University of Baltimore, Watkins’ work has appeared in Rolling Stone and The Guardian. He is also a frequent contributor on CNN and NPR.
In an effort to expand to other forms of media, Salon has appointed three new hires with expertise in video and podcast production:
- Senior Video Producer Chris Murphey – A seasoned video news and entertainment producer, Murphey has produced programs for various networks including ABC News’ “Nightline,” CBS News’ “The Early Show” and CNN’s “Lou Dobbs Tonight.”
- Executive Producer – Podcasts Lauren Schiller –The creator and host of Inflection Point, a radio program currently distributed in 14 markets and a podcast that talks with innovative women in the United States and around the world, which will be one of Salon’s new podcast additions.
- Video Anchor Josh Zepps – A media personality, political analyst, actor and host of radio and TV, Zepps was one of the founding hosts of Huffington Post Live.
“At Salon, we champion unconventional thinkers, challenge the status quo, shift the dialogue and craft a lexicon,” said Jordan Hoffner, CEO at Salon Media Group. “This slate of new hires to join our already stellar editorial team demonstrates our firm commitment to be the iconoclast among the mainstream. With our dedication to explore new verticals and provide a deeper, multimedia context, our goal is to elevate the conversation and attract the most intelligent, culturally diverse following the internet has to offer.”
Throughout its 20-year history, Salon has driven the national conversation through its award-winning journalism. Its content spans breaking news, politics, entertainment, culture and technology through investigative reporting, commentary, criticism and provocative personal essays. As one of the earliest digital media outlets, Salon remains dedicated to being at the forefront of media innovation. With the expansion of its content team, Salon will continue to produce breakthrough reporting and commentary using new storytelling platforms to open a broader dialogue among an increasingly diverse population.