App updates: Tribune releases third update to fix ‘critical defect’
Google releases several updates including a performance related update for Google Play Books, an a bigger one for its main Google app
Hopefully the third time is the charm as Tribune Interactive has issued yet another new bug fix update, attempting to fix what it describes as a “critical defect.”
The app arm of Tribune Publishing (now called tronc, but few yet recognize that name), Tribune Interactive originally released a big update on July 21 which added new features and fixed some bugs. Unfortunately, users immediately began to complain that the app was working properly. (They also complained about the banner ads.)
A new update was released on July 25 that apparently didn’t do the trick, hence the need for today’s update.
The apps are for the individual newspaper properties such as the Los Angeles Times and Chicago Tribune.
The Economist has released an update for The Economist Espresso, its app that provides readers a morning briefing.
The update brings the app up to version 1.1.6 and says it “speeds up the restore purchases process.”
Google will be releasing its quarterly earnings after the bell today (Thursday). Actually, Alphabet will be. I think think that name is as silly as tronc (well, almost as silly).
The company has released a number of iOS app updates including one for Google Play Books (for accessibility improvements and stability and performance enhancements).
But the biggest update is to their main iOS app -– simply called Google app.
What’s New in Version 17.0
We’ve made a number of improvements to help you get things done more quickly in the app.
- Revisit recent pages for 7 days — based on your feedback, recent pages and searches are now accessible longer. Try it by tapping the “recents” icon (found on the top right corner of the homepage, or to the right of the “G” button).
- Forward button — we’ve added a new forward button to help you quickly move back and forth between pages.
- Improved voice search — voice search now works better in noisy environments.
- Local search results for gas stations now include gas prices.
- Hotel search results now include information about amenities such as wifi, gym, pool, and laundry service.