December 18, 2015 Last Updated 7:58 am

Bernie Sanders campaign suspended from accessing DNC database after vendor glitch

A staffer at the Sanders campaign accessed Clinton campaign data through the third party vendor after previously alerting the DNC to the issue, the campaign claimed

The campaign of Bernie Sanders was dealt a blow today when it was suspended from accessing its voter database after it was discovered that at least one of the campaign’s staff members accessed the Clinton campaign’s data.

The access was made available until the data vendor, NGP VAN, notified the DNC of the issue. They were then instructed to learn who had accessed the data. A spokesman for NGP VAN said the breach was of a short duration and the issue was quickly fixed.

Sanders-340Jeff Weaver, Sanders’ campaign manager, said that a low-level staffer had viewed the information, and that one staffer had been fired over the incident. “Sadly, the DNC is relying on an incompetent vendor who on more than one occasion has dropped the firewall between the various Democratic candidates’ data,” Weaver told The Washington Post, who broke the story.

“Our campaign months ago alerted the DNC to the fact that campaign data was being made available to other campaigns. At that time our campaign did not run to the media, relying instead on assurances from the vendor,” a spokesman for the Sanders’ campaign said.

Yesterday had been a good day for the Sanders campaign as it received the endorsement of the 700K member Communications Workers of America,. The campaign also was able to report that to date it had received campaign contributions from over 2 million people. has come to the Sanders campaign defense, demanding that the campaign be given back access to the files.

“Shutting down Sanders’ tools to reach voters is an infringement on democracy,” the organization said this morning.

A new ABC News/Washington Post poll of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents. has Clinton ahead of Sanders by 31 points, 59-28 percent. The last Democratic debate of the year, sponsored by ABC News, is scheduled for Saturday night.

Update: Late Friday night, the DNC restored the Sanders campaign’s access to the databases. This allows the issue to not shift from the actions of the Sanders campaign to the actions of the DNC, which is widely seen as supporting Clinton’s campaign – a craft move, if you ask me. This won’t be the end of all this, of course.

Comments are closed.