Apple issues tvOS 9.1 update, Remote mobile app now ‘works’ with the new Apple TV
Apple also issues an update for its mobile operating system – now at iOS 9.2
Today Apple released an update for the new Apple TV, tvOS 9.1. The update contains unknown changes to the software as Apple’s release notes on the developer website are wrong (they are the notes for tvOS 9.0).
But those who updated their units soon discovered that the mobile Remote app now will work with the new Apple TV, though I have already discovered some bugs.
The lack of support for the Remote app was one of the signs that Apple rushed out the new Apple TV. Now, the Remote app works, but you’ll soon find that there remains problems.
For instance, you can now use the Remote app pretty much as you would the touch screen remote Apple has provided with the new Apple TV. But one advantage of the Remote app is the ability to type without having to use the new swipe mechanism necessary on the remote provided with the Apple TV unit. But there are problems. If you type within the YouTube app, for instance, there is no way to enter or get to the results except to completely exit the app. Then, you Apple TV remote will take awhile to start working again.
Look for some of these bugs to be worked out in future updates.
Later: Apple looks like it recognizes that the current Remote app is not a good solution for the new Apple TV, and so a new one is in the works:
“We’re working on a new Apple TV remote app that will give you the full functionality of the Siri Remote on your iPhone,” Apple’s Eddy Cue told BuzzFeed. “We’re hoping to ship that in the first half of next year.”
Next day: Apple released an update for the Remote app today (Dec. 9) – so, as predicted, they needed an update to fix bugs with the app. The question is, though, why wasn’t this ready on the same day as the tvOS update? Maybe a minor thing, but this goes on all the time these days at Apple. Very frustrating.
Apple has also issued iOS 9.2 which contains a long list of bug fixes and feature changes:
This update contains improvements and bug fixes including:
- Apple Music improvements
◦ You can now create a new playlist when adding a song to a playlist
◦ Your most recently changed playlist is now listed at the top when adding songs to playlists
◦ Download albums or playlists from your iCloud Music Library by tapping the iCloud download button
◦ See which songs have been downloaded with the new download indicator next to each song in My Music and Playlists
◦ See works, composers, and performers while browsing Classical music in the Apple Music catalog
- A new Top Stories section in News so you can stay up to date with the most important news of the day (available in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia)
- Mail Drop in Mail for sending large attachments
- iBooks now supports 3D Touch to peek and pop pages from the table of contents, your notes and bookmarks, or from search results inside a book
- iBooks now supports listening to an audiobook while you browse your library, read other books, or explore the iBooks Store
- iPhone support for the USB Camera Adapter to import photos and videos
- Improved stability of Safari
- Improved stability of Podcasts
- Fixing an issue that caused mail attachments to be inaccessible for some users with POP email accounts
- Resolving an issue for some users that caused attachments to overlap text in mail
- Fixing an issue where Live Photos could have turned off after restoring from a previous iCloud backup
- Addressing an issue that could cause search in Contacts to display no results
- Resolving an issue that could have prevented Calendar from displaying all seven days in week view
- Fixing an issue where Camera screen on iPad could be black when attempting to capture video
- Addressing an issue that could cause instability in the Activity app when viewing the day of Daylight Savings Time transition
- Fixing an issue that could prevent data from appearing in Health
- Fixing an issue that could prevent Wallet updates and Lock screen alerts from displaying
- Addressing an issue where updating iOS could prevent an alarm from going off
- Fixing an issue where some users were unable to login to Find my iPhone
- Fixing an issue that prevented some manual iCloud Backups from completing
- Addressing an issue where using the iPad keyboard could unintentionally trigger text selection mode
- Improved keyboard responsiveness when using Quick Reply
- Improved punctuation input on the 10-key Chinese (Pinyin & Stroke) keyboards with new expanded view of punctuation symbols and better predictions
- Fixing an issue on Cyrillic keyboards where caps lock would be enabled when typing in URL or email fields
- Accessibility improvements
◦ Fixing issues with VoiceOver when using Camera face detection
◦ Adding support for VoiceOver to wake up the screen
◦ Adding support for VoiceOver to invoke app switcher with 3D Touch gesture
◦ Fixing an issue with Guided Access when trying to end phone calls
◦ Improved functionality for Switch Control users when using 3D Touch
◦ Fixing an issue with speech rate of Speak Screen
- Siri support for Arabic (Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates)
The iOPS 9.2 update is not necessary for the Remote app to work with the new Apple TV, though we might see that app updated at some point, as well.