iOS 9-related app updates continue: The Washington Post, CBC News, La Presse+ and more
Developers appear to be having few problems with the new edition of Apple’s mobile operating system, and though we are still early, users are finding few bugs
The release of a new version of Apple’s iOS can often be a difficult time. Bugs suddenly appear in apps, readers go into iTunes to write damning reviews, etc. This year’s roll-out of iOS 9 seems to be going far smoother than previous years.
Here is a brief rundown of the latest media apps to be updated:
The Washington Post: Yesterday the paper updated its “Classic” app which still features a replica edition of the newspaper. This is the new app that first was launched for the Kindle platform.
NEW FOR iOS9:
- Deep Linking with Universal Links: We’ll be rolling this feature out across all our stories, so hopping in and out of the app will be easier than ever.
- Multitasking: Switch to Slide Over or Split View and the app will adjust to allow you to keep reading your favorite stories .
- Spotlight integration: You can now find stories within our app by searching for keywords in Spotlight.
- UI improvements, including a better loading experience when fetching new stories
CBC News: This update is dated the 16th, yet appeared just now in my iTunes account. That happens occasionally when the developer wants something held to a specific date. This app was actually updated a month ago and mentioned iOS 9 in that update. But this one appears far more extensive and may have been held back until watchOS2 was released.
Your CBC News App is optimized for iOS 9.
- Expanded Search – Use Spotlight to find deep-linked app content
- Multitasking for iPad featuring Split-Screen capability
- Watch App is now on WatchOS 2.0
We’ve also fixed some bugs related to:
- Email not posting text
- Image captions disappearing on iPad while changing orientation.
Google Play Newsstand: Google’s digital newsstand app for iOS has received an iOS 9 related update. This one mentions multitasking, which will be interesting to check out on the iPad.
What’s New in Version 3.3
- Support for iPad multitasking on iOS 9
- Performance improvements and bug fixes
- Google Play Newsstand now requires iOS 8 or later
Flipboard: Flipboard releases updates regularly – this is their 13th of the year. You can be sure, however, with Apple launching its own content aggregation app, Apple News, that Flipboard will want to make sure their app is functioning as designed.
What’s New in Version 3.3.7
- Optimized for iOS 9. Search for your favorite sections in Spotlight and get to the content you want to see.
- Tune your Flipboard directly from your Cover Stories or after opening a story (now available on both iPhone and iPad).
La Presse+: The French-Canadian newspaper recently announced (here) that their digital editions are doing so well that they will be shuttering their daily print edition starting next year. You might also be interested in reading about the AAM’s digital certification of the La Presse+ app (here). If don’t read French, and mine is pretty lousy, the app description states that the update gives the app “access to iOS 9 features” including Spotlight, and fixing minor bugs.
What’s New in Version 2.2.0
- Accès à des fonctionnalités d’iOS 9 incluant l’écran de recherche (Spotlight);
- Améliorations mineures.
Others that deserve mention:
TypeEngine: The digital publishing platform that we were using for the App Publisher digital magazine app has received an iOS 9 update.
Watch ESPN: With the college football season upon us I imagine this app will be used quite frequently.
Zomato: This is the new owner of Urbanspoon (and users of the old app are still a bit unhappy about the changes).
The Weather Channel: Here is another app that looks to have been updated a while ago, but the new app held back. This one, too, features Apple Watch related changes, which may explain why the update has just now appeared.
FiLMiC Pro: This is an app used frequently by those who shoot professional quality video with their iPhone. This update appears to be extensive and brings the app up to version 5.0.