The Clever Root, a new quarterly magazine, set for fall launch
The magazine hopes to lend an informed and educated voice to the world of growables, including cannabis
LOS ANGELES, Calif. – June 30, 2015 — The publishers of The Tasting Panel magazine and The SOMM Journal have announced the fall 2015 launch of The Clever Root, a new quarterly magazine about everything good that grows. A chef-driven, farm-to-table and ingredient-focused publication, The Clever Root lends an informed and educated voice to the world of growables, including cannabis.
Each issue will feature columns from the editorial team, including Managing Editor Karen Moneymaker and Vice President of Editorial Rachel Burkons, who will produce in-depth articles on subjects from farm to fruit, leaf to herb – and the working tastemakers who buy, forage, prepare and grow these ingredients for the dishes served at the country’s top restaurants.
“The time is now to take a deep dive into the world of growables and provide expert knowledge to a motivated audience of chefs, buyers and restaurant industry trade. We’ll explore the organic lifestyle like never before, and shed light on a thriving cannabis industry,” says Meridith May, Publisher and Editorial Director of The Clever Root.
Subscriptions are $10 per issue or $36 for an annual subscription and will be targeted to chefs, restaurateurs, directors of food and beverage, grocery food buyers, and wine and spirits stores and high-end consumers. The Clever Root can also be found at gourmet shops, dispensaries, newsstands, wine and food events, cannabis conferences, and culinary and wine schools.
“We’re proud to announce that our inaugural issue will feature a cover story on Chef Daniel Patterson, a renowned American chef, restaurateur and food writer. Notable chefs and other industry personalities will grace the cover of each quarterly issue, spotlighting the cultivators of tomorrow, behind-the-scenes look at chefs’ gardens, biodynamic cooking and winemaking, and cannabis education,” adds May.
Recurring columns include:
- Napa Valley Vintners: Recurring column on sustainability and other initiatives in grape growing
- The Ganjier: The Clever Root’s connection with cannabis science and growing, from clones to terroir to greenhouses
- Dig This: Front-of-the-book three-page spotlight; focus on “Asparagus for All Seasons” with columnist Jeff Cox
Says Allison Edrington, Editor-in-chief of TheGanjier.com and Cannabis Editor for The Clever Root: “On behalf of The Ganjier and Emerald Triangle farmers, we’re thrilled to partner with The Clever Root team in providing insights for our colleagues and the public on the evolving cannabis industry. This is an incredible opportunity to serve as a mainstream voice about sustainable cannabis growing and legal, adult recreational enjoyment.”
Special features in the inaugural Fall issue to include:
- Pairing Chablis with Oysters: The Clever Root visits chefs across the country to find some winning combinations
- The Garden Farmer: An interview with biodynamic guru and horticulturist Jeff Dawson
- The Who’s Who of Humboldt County: The growers and the game-changers in the Emerald Triangle, including interviews with the government officials on the side of legalization
- On The Cover: California Chef Daniel Patterson of San Francisco’s Coi, Haven, Alta and Aster
- Duskie Estes of ZaZu in Sebastopol
- Spotlight on NY Chefs
- Spotlight on Sacramento Chefs
- Unique Trends Report from Washington State Chefs