Job for Editor, Apple News posted
The Newsstand is not yet dead, and the new Apple News app is not yet live. But Apple is already recruiting for a journalist to serve as Editor, Apple News.
Raju Narisetti, Senior Vice President, Strategy, at NewsCorp tweeted the job, clearly a bit concerned about Apple’s motivation:
It is unlikely any qualified journalists will apply. After all, who would want to work in Northern California in media, where one needn’t worry about the company going under? OK. so they will be flooded with applications.
TNM has long advocated for Apple to hire a publishing industry liaison. This job, posted late in the day on Friday, clearly is not that position:
Editor, Apple News The Apple News team is looking for passionate, knowledgeable editors to help identify and deliver the best in breaking national, global, and local news. These editors will help News users find the best and most timely coverage of major news events, while also managing select categories based on their areas of professional expertise. The role requires the ability to manage relationships with some of the world’s finest publishers, to work seamlessly with an international team, and to craft compelling email newsletters.
- Education / Experience:
- A Bachelors degree in journalism, communication, or a related field. Masters preferred.
- 5+ years of Newsroom experience with a strong emphasis on mobile news delivery and a deep knowledge of multiple content categories
- A complete understanding of the various Social tools available to track and optimize breaking news delivery
- A strong understanding of content analytics and the ability to use these to get great content to the right people at the right time
- Impeccable time-management skills and a demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Results oriented, energetic and focused with a strong desire to learn and succeed.
- Strong understanding of the technology behind digital news delivery and content management
Successful editors will be ambitious, detail-oriented journalists with an obsession for great content and mobile news delivery. They will have great instincts for breaking news, but be equally able to recognize original, compelling stories unlikely to be identified by algorithms. Thoroughness, flexibility, technical curiosity, a deep understanding of audience metrics, and a passion for high-quality, original content are all instrumental to success in this position.
To help manage a dynamic news content stream To surface great content from a range of high-quality publishers, from the largest to the smallest, across multiple categories To drive relationships with some of the world’s leading newsrooms, ensuring that important breaking news stories are surfaced quickly, and enterprise journalism is rewarded with high visibility To work cross-functionally to communicate and track systemic platform innovation To recognize and communicate key content trends to senior management To help create a collaborative international culture of seamless news delivery