CBS News updates iOS app, gets more social
One would assume that all news apps are social these days, but it really shouldn’t be that surprising that some news organizations are still catching up. One way I gauge this is by the usage of the social sharing mechanisms built into TNM – they simply are not used.
CBS News today issued an update to its iOS app, called simply CBS News, and have made their app far more social network friendly. The update also fixes a fairly long list of bugs that has caused the app to get negative reviews from users in iTunes.
Users have been complaining about crashes, the font size, video not working, and random audio. Interestingly, none of those issues are mentioned in the app description for this update, though that doesn’t mean they weren’t addressed with this update.
What’s New in Version 3.2
This update includes the following new features:
- Official Twitter streams have been added for Evening News, This Morning, 60 Minutes, 48 Hours, Face the Nation, and Sunday Morning.
- Breaking News alerts notify you of the latest news while using the app.
- Reorderable menu items.
Bug Fixes and Improvements:
- CBS News radio no longer turns on randomly.
- Social share ability has been improved.
- Updated ability to turn push notification on or off from within the user settings.
- Updated ability to turn quick read on or off from within the user settings.
- Added drop down menus to each of the CBS News shows.
- Fixed the clickable link issue for articles on iPad