ISIS threatens Twitter staff; Rebekah Brooks finds a less dangerous line of work in NYC
The Financial Times is said to be considering altering its metered paywall strategy, introducing paid for trials – a low introductory cost to access articles immediately
The employees of Twitter received a threat, purportedly from ISIS, over the network’s actions blocking accounts associated with the group. There is virtually no way, without ISIS confirming it themselves, to confirm the authenticity of the threat, but no doubt security will be tightened at the company’s San Francisco office.
The threat follows numerous times Twitter has deleted accounts associated with the group. Last week Twitter reported several actions taken to improve the security of Twitter users. They also mentioned that they had taken new actions against users that are violating Twitter rules.
“We are also beginning to add several new enforcement actions for use against accounts that violate our rules. These new actions will not be visible to the vast majority of rule-abiding Twitter users – but they give us new options for acting against the accounts that don’t follow the rules and serve to discourage behavior that goes against our policies.”
She’s back, and she’s coming to NYC.
The Daily Mail (and the NYT this morning) reported that Rupert Murdoch looks set to bring back Rebekah Brooks, the former head of News International in the UK. Brooks will reportedly work on investments for the company.
Brooks was at the center of the phone hacking scandal at the News of the World. Brook also admitted that while editor at The Sun that the paper paid police for information. Brooks resigned from News International in 2011, though remained on the payroll (nice way to resign).
Eventually Brooks was arrested and prosecuted on charges related to the scandal. But while her cohort and former lover Andy Coulson was found guilty, Brooks walked.
Her move to the States to work on investments makes perfect sense as everyone knows that here the government jails journalists, not bankers.
The Financial Times will be ending their metered paywall and put up a more solid one, the Guardian reported on Friday. Previously, readers who register with the site could get three free stories a month – barely anything. But with the new paywall those readers will be expected to pay immediately to access the content.
“Eight years ago we launched the metered model, which has been fantastically successful,” CEO John Ridding said. “It’s been a real source of transformation and a good source of contribution to the business. We are evolving this and developing a different approach which is paid-for trials, whereby as for a nominal sum, will have unlimited access for a month.
The FT was lauded a few years ago for their digital strategy that involved avoiding the Apple App Store and going strictly with the web and web apps. They succeeded with that strategy – but the WSJ and The Economist went in the opposite direction and also succeeded, confirming that the key to success is to have content readers are willing to pay for.
Many newspapers have misinterpreted the success papers like the FT have had and launched their own paywalls, only to quickly discover that their readers were not so willing to pay. It’s not just content, of course, its financial content that readers will pay for – content that the reader can make money from.
There is other types of content readers would be willing to pay for such as construction bid information, and the like. But local news? Probably not.