Scribd adds comics from Marvel, Archie and other publishers
Comics and graphic novels represent an $870 million market in the US, with a rapidly expanding and diversifying readership
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – February 10, 2015 — Scribd today announced that it is expanding its leading global subscription reading service to include unlimited access to more than 10,000 comic books from some of the world’s top comic publishers. This offering represents the first time such a rich and varied selection of comics from some of the industry’s top publishers – including Marvel, Archie, Boom! Studios, Dynamite, IDW/Top Shelf, Valiant and Zenescope – has been made available in one unlimited digital subscription service. The selection includes fan favorites from Spider-Man to My Little Pony to X-O Manowar, and from Transformers to Archie, along with hit YA series such as Locke & Key and acclaimed graphic novels by creators Alan Moore, Matt Fraction, Gail Simone, George R.R. Martin and more.
“We are very excited to take this step in expanding our subscription service beyond books,” said Trip Adler, co-founder and CEO of Scribd. “This addition gives comics readers the freedom of unlimited reading, while also giving our e-book and audiobook lovers the opportunity to discover comics and graphic novels.”
Comics and graphic novels represent an $870 million market in the US, with a rapidly expanding and diversifying readership. Scribd is at the forefront of efforts to develop and shape the industry for the digital age by making it possible for readers worldwide to enjoy unlimited access to the comics they want across all mobile devices, as well as the web.
Scribd’s comic library will feature:
- Classic Comics – Classic runs of the Avengers, the X-Men, Daredevil, Archie, Judge Dredd, the Rocketeer, and more
- Top Characters – Spider-Man, the Avengers, Betty and Veronica, Kevin Keller, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, My Little Pony, G.I. Joe, Bloodshot, Adventure Time
- Major Creators – Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Fiona Staples, Darwyn Cooke, Mark Waid, Ed Brubaker, Renee French, Jeffrey Brown, Joe Hill, and many more
- Acclaimed Graphic Novels – March, From Hell, Swallow Me Whole, Underwater Welder, Spiral-Bound, The Ticking, Too Cool to Be Forgotten
- Award Winners – League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, 30 Days of Night, Locke & Key, Alec, Will You Still Love Me if I Wet the Bed?
- Hit YA Titles – Ultimate Spider-Man, Runaways, Afterlife With Archie, Harbinger, Lumberjanes
Manga – Partnership with Media Do brings titles from Cork and Harlequin Manga, including work by acclaimed artist Moyoco Anno
- Leading Publishers – Marvel, Arcana, Archie, Boom! Studios, Dynamite, IDW/Top Shelf, Kingstone, Space Goat, Top Cow, Valiant, Zenescope
Readers will have the ability to browse comics in a variety of ways, allowing long-time fans to dive deep into the stories and characters they love while allowing new readers to explore and discover:
- By Character – Character pages allow readers to follow their favorite characters through their series and guest appearances.
- By Series – Readers can browse by title and read entire series from start to finish.
- By Curated Collection – Readers can browse more than 150 expert-curated collections of comics, such as Incredible Team-Ups, Classic Marvel Moments, Zombie Horror, Welcome to Riverdale, Funny Women, Supernatural Romance, and more.
The addition of comics and graphic novels, along with other recent e-book and audiobook deals, increases Scribd’s library to more than one million titles, representing the largest unlimited-access offering of e-books, audiobooks, and comics globally.