Conde Nast’s Epicurious revamps iOS and Windows apps following unveiling of redesigned website
Conde Nast remains an infrequent developer for the Android platform, despite its huge growth over the past several years, while maintaining 19 apps for the iPhone and 31 for the iPad
The relaunch of a website is about as good a time as any to consider a redesign of one’s app. So, a week after unveiling its new website, the Condé Nast property Epicurious has issued a major app update.
“Everything is new in this version!” the app description for Epicurious Recipes Shopping List states. “We’ve relaunched Epicurious and redesigned the entire app. It’s like a gut kitchen renovation, only with a few million lines of code.”
The new universal, stand-alone app was released only into the Apple App Store, with the Google Play app remaining not updated since its launch in June of 2010. (It is likely the reason is the publisher’s reliance on replica editions for the Google Play newsstand.)
The update comes a little over a week after the website was updated.
“Your eyes aren’t seeing things. We just relaunched,” Eric Gillin, executive director of Epicurious, wrote last month.
“Our aim: make Epicurious the most helpful food site for home cooks, a resource that blends eye-popping photography, fantastic information, and great writing. Our top-to-bottom overhaul makes the site easier to navigate, no matter what device or platform you’re using, with new designs for mobile, tablet, desktop, as well as our Windows and iOS apps. We even changed the logo.”
Both the new website and app are attractive, modern, and clean. The website looks very much like a premium WordPress theme, with its large content holes, and responsive (and parallax) design.
The app follows a similar look, but more utilitarian. The app can be used in both portrait and landscape, but with the tablet version it is the landscape orientation that makes the most sense. This is, after all, an app made for cooks.
The app in the Windows store, just called Epicurious there, has a far better app description for learning what is in the new app:
- A whole new look and completely reengineered—it’s even faster, friendlier, and more fun to search.
- Can’t figure out what to cook? Use our new recommendations feature to find recipes that are personalized to your cooking style!
- A free recipe box: all your recipes—from anywhere on the Web—saved and searchable in one place.
- Eat fresh! Use your location to find out what ingredients are in season near you.
- Never forget an item on your shopping list with our new alerts feature.
- Take pictures of your delicious food in the app and instantly share over social with your friends.
- Never miss our best recipes with our automatically updating live tiles.
- No more smudge-y screens: Voice-activated commands let you follow recipes while keeping your hands free for cooking.
- Get inspired browsing new categories like Chocolate Desserts, Kid-Friendly Mains, Gluten-Free, Stir-Fry Suppers, Low-Carb Mains, Healthy Dinners, and Hearty Sandwiches.
- The only app resource for recipes from the editors of Epicurious and Gourmet magazine, plus recipes from Bon Appétit, Self, Random House, and more.
- Read comments and suggestions by other home cooks like you on tens of thousands of recipes.