VICE News launches native app for iPhone and iPod touch
The VICE News App was built from the ground up in iOS 8, taking advantage of new features like Today widgets in the Notification Center
NEW YORK, NY – September 17, 2014 — VICE News, VICE Media’s digital news vertical, which launched in Beta in March and has since reenergized today’s news landscape with its unprecedented coverage of world events from Ukraine to the Islamic State, today announced the launch of its native app for the iPhone and iPod touch.
Download the VICE News app for free on the App Store for iPhone or iPod touch.
The VICE News app is the latest in VICE’s development of a world-class slate of digital products, further expanding distribution capabilities and providing audiences with new ways to experience VICE News content across all screens. The VICE News App was built from the ground up in iOS 8, taking advantage of new features like Today widgets in the Notification Center, and has also been enhanced to make full use of the larger HD Retina displays on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
The app, which will feature every story available on vicenews.com, optimized for iPhone and iPod touch, also includes:
- Today widget: VICE takes advantage of the Today widgets in the Notification Center with iOS 8, providing users with a convenient way to view our content right from the Today view
- AirPlay to users’ Apple TV: users can watch VICE News video on their TV screens direct from the app
- Custom implementation of YouTube’s player in the app, built to deliver the cleanest, fastest in-app YouTube experience ever
- Full suite of iOS 8’s unique advanced accessibility functions for the seeing and / or hearing impaired
- Offline reading and caching of text stories
- Social sharing integrated through iOS 8’s native share tools
- Support services such as Pocket, a service that allows users to save articles for later reading
Today, in the app, you can find a story on the long wait for Ebola treatment in Liberia, the VICE News Daily Capsule which is a daily news roundup that goes beyond the headlines, and the trailer for VICE News’ upcoming documentary Ghosts of Aleppo.
Drake Martinet, VICE News’s Head of Platform, said, “We built the VICE News app from the ground-up specifically for iOS 8 and the new iPhones. The app turns the iPhone screen into the perfect mobile canvas for our gripping videos and photojournalism, while the article pages use best-in-class design to make the reading space clean, quiet and focused for VICE News’s written storytelling.”
The VICE App is available for free on the App Store for iPhone and iPod touch or at www.AppStore.com.