July 11, 2014 Last Updated 11:10 am

Sylvie Kauffman, executive editor at Le Monde, named to Google’s new ‘right to be forgotten’ advisory council

Google Chief Legal Officer says it will try its ‘very best to comply quickly and responsibly’ to link removal requests

The search engine giant Google today published column in The Guardian and on its blog from David Drummond, Senior Vice President, Corporate Development and Chief Legal Officer, stating that the search giant would comply with with requests for link deletions after the Court of Justice of the European Union established a “right to be forgotten.”

markWhile continuing to disagree with the court’s ruling, Google’s Chief Legal Officer said that it would make every effort to comply.

“It’s a huge task as we’ve had over 70,000 take-down requests covering 250,000 webpages since May. So we now have a team of people individually reviewing each application, in most cases with limited information and almost no context,” Drummond wrote.

“We’re also doing our best to be transparent about removals: for example, we’re informing websites when one of their pages has been removed. But we cannot be specific about why we have removed the information because that could violate the individual’s privacy rights under the court’s decision.”

Of course, only two months in, our process is still very much a work in progress. It’s why we incorrectly removed links to some articles last week (they have since been reinstated). But the good news is that the ongoing, active debate that’s happening will inform the development of our principles, policies and practices—in particular about how to balance one person’s right to privacy with another’s right to know<” Drummond wrote.

In response, Google will be establishing an advisory council made up of members of academia, the media, data protection, civil society and the tech sector. One of the members of the council is Sylvie Kauffman, executive editor for the French newspaper Le Monde.

Comments are closed.