Time Inc. launches new responsive website for Sports Illustrated
The new SI Digital offers partners a full suite of dynamic advertising products, ranging from native, branded entertainment and high-impact video-display units to traditional display ads
NEW YORK, NY – June 25, 2014 — Time Inc.’s SPORTS ILLUSTRATED (@SINow) today unveiled the new SI Digital (www.si.com), a best-in-class sports destination for mobile and the Web. This new, responsive platform was designed and built by Time Inc. to deliver SPORTS ILLUSTRATED’s breaking news, opinion and analysis from reporters with access; longform journalism; video storytelling; and riveting photography to fans on the devices they use the most. This debut is the first in a series of next-generation, mobile product launches that fuel a completely new, cutting-edge digital experience – interactive, informative, videocentric, social and engaging – from SI.
On deck is the June 25 premiere of 120 Sports, a live streaming digital sports video network created by equity partners Time Inc., MLBAM, the NHL, Silver Chalice and Campus Insiders. 120 Sports features live commentary, news, analysis, in-game highlights and social discussions, all packaged in 120-second segments and will be integrated into the new SI Digital network. Next week SPORTS ILLUSTRATED enters the booming world of daily fantasy sports with its new FanNation app and desktop experience which offers daily fantasy games in the four major professional sports. The app was developed in partnership with TopLine Game Labs and the first game released will be Baseball Throwdown.
These new products are the latest from the innovative brand that has launched seven new cross-platform franchises in the last 18 months and each created in parallel with the development of the new SI Digital. They are: TheMMQB.com, SI LongForm, Planet Futbol, Swim Daily, Extra Mustard, SI Edge and SI Now powered by Ford. Each has garnered critical acclaim and consumer popularity, injecting tremendous momentum into the franchise, as evidenced by the May 2014 49% year-over-year growth in comScore multiplatform UVs, and a 29% average increase in monthly comScore multiplatform UVs for 2014.
“The new digital platform allows us to showcase SI’s vast content as well as engage with our audience in ways we couldn’t before”
“This is an extraordinary time for the brand,” said Vice President/Publisher Brendan Ripp. “We have momentum, enthusiasm and across-the-board opportunities to work with new, innovative advertising and business development partners as we look to deliver SPORTS ILLUSTRATED to fans through every platform and experience. This series of launches is the latest and most exciting yet and we can’t wait to build on them.”
With today’s launch, fans will enjoy a completely reimagined destination that was conceived as a mobile first experience. It was reconstructed from back to front, giving editors unprecedented flexibility to integrate all content forms – social, video, photography, text, data, infographics, audio – into their storytelling. The new platform also syncs with the reconstructed editorial group, where today all SPORTS ILLUSTRATED editors contribute across all platforms.
“The new digital platform allows us to showcase SI’s vast content as well as engage with our audience in ways we couldn’t before,” said Paul Fichtenbaum, Editor, Time Inc. Sports Group. “With the ultimate flexibility, the new SI Digital is an editor’s dream.”
“When we began designing the new platform, we focused on three things – what will be the best user experience across mobile devices, what will provide the best experience for our advertisers to let their message flourish and how do we give our editorial team the right tools to unleash their creativity. I believe we’ve accomplished all of that and more,” said SI Digital Vice President/General Manager Jim DeLorenzo.
Also designed for today’s progressive marketing environment, the new SI Digital offers partners a full suite of dynamic advertising products, ranging from native, branded entertainment and high-impact video-display units to traditional display ads. All of the campaigns will blossom in the fully responsive site, which positions the advertisers’ brand message across all platforms alongside the powerful editorial content.
- The mobile website is specifically designed for users on phones and tablets, with scores front and center on the homepage and section fronts, and always one touch away no matter where you are on the site.
- Fully responsive, more graphic layout that allows editors to change the look and feel of the pages almost instantly to reflect fast-paced changes in the news cycle.
- A cleaner, clutter-free viewing and reading experience that’s just as simple to access from your mobile device as your desktop, with easy-to-share social tools at your fingertips.
- A bigger, more striking photo and video experience that better showcases the visual storytelling that has been the hallmark of SPORTS ILLUSTRATED since 1954.
- App-like navigation that gives you access to any part of the site with one touch, along with a never-ending stream of content options on every page.
- Data visualization tools for player and team pages that allows you to filter through many different categories for the latest information in a much more compelling way.
- The ability to seamlessly bring in live social platforms i.e., Twitter and Instagram, via feeds, onto any page in real time.