Twitter releases major update to iOS app, send photos via DMs
No app gets updated as often as Twitter’s iOS app. The recently released update for the social media app is the 24th update this year. The latest update brings the app up to version 6.0.
What’s New in Version 6.0
• Refreshed look and feel. Home, Activity and Discover now available by swiping in Timelines. Easier access to DMs.
Share photos in Direct Messages.
• Send and receive photos via DMs.
Notifications from your network.
• Choose to view replies, retweets, and favorites from only the people that you follow.
Search got even easier.
• Access tweets from people you follow and near you, directly from search results.
Safari Reading List support
• Save web articles to read later with Safari Reading List.
The update moves the app from simply an extension of the website to more of a communications tool – the logical step for a mobile app to take. While many apps use push notifications, few do them well, which is why most users turn them off automatically after loading a new app.
But Twitter is attempting to become an alternative to email, and with photo sharing and notifications, it has a chance to do that. Already Twitter has become some people’s default news source (which is scary), so why not people’s default communication too, too?