Apple announces new iBooks features and updates
Beginning January 2014, Apple will require that all delivered iBooks Author books must be created with iBooks Author 2.1.1
Apple sent paid book account holders an email outlining the recent changes to iBooks and iBooks Author. Late yesterday Apple released an update to iBooks Author to fix in an issue with custom embedded fonts. The latest version is now iBooks Author 2.1.1, and Apple said that this is the version of the program publishes will need to use when submitting their books beginning with the new year.
Here is the announcement from Apple:
iBooks for OS X Mavericks
OS X Mavericks is now available for free from the Mac App Store and brings iBooks to the Mac. iBooks works seamlessly across devices and includes numerous innovative features, including:
- iBooks Store. Part of the iBooks app, the iBooks Store offers more than two million books. View featured books or browse by author or genre. Download a book and read it on your Mac.
- Navigate with gestures. Swipe the trackpad or mouse to flip through a book’s pages.
- iBooks textbooks. Experience gorgeous, full-screen Multi‑Touch books designed just for iBooks.
In addition, functionality you know from iBooks for iOS, such as text highlights and notes, is also available in iBooks for OS X.
- Improved Readability. The WebKit update includes improved support for font kerning and ligatures, which may change the space that words use in a book. To accommodate the adjustments, we recommend that Fixed Layout books have the text in flowing paragraphs as opposed to absolutely positioning each line of the paragraph as its own element.
- Fixed implementation of text-align: center. The latest version of WebKit addresses an issue where text-align: center was improperly applied to inline elements with absolute position when that item was the only or first child element of a render block with centered alignment. As a result, some images may appear to have shifted to the right. The correction will be most visible in Fixed Layout books.
The new version of iBooks Author is now available for free from the Mac App Store. iBooks Author allows anyone to create beautiful Multi-Touch books with galleries, video, interactive diagrams, 3D objects, and more. With the release of iBooks for Mac, books made with iBooks Author can now be read on the Mac and on iPad.
Download the new iBooks Author to take advantage of the following:
- Preview books in iBooks for Mac.
- Bug fixes and performance improvements, including a fix for some movies that had their enhanced caption tracks inadvertently removed.
Beginning January 2014, all delivered iBooks Author books must be created with iBooks Author 2.1.1.
iBooks Marketing and Affiliate Kit
The iBooks Marketing and Affiliate Kit has been updated to reflect the change in branding of iBookstore to iBooks. The new version includes:
- iBooks Store Affiliate Program Overview. Find out how to sign up for the Affiliate Program to earn commission by linking to the iTunes Store, App Store, iBooks Store, and Mac App Store.
- iBooks Marketing Helpful Links. See the list of links to resources that will help you to better market your books.
- iBooks Identity Guidelines. Follow these guidelines to learn how to properly promote your iBooks books on websites, advertising, and other marketing communications.
- iBooks Badge in All Languages. Download the localized versions of the “Download on iBooks” badges. Badges are available in the PNG, EPS, and SVG file format.
The new iBooks Marketing and Affiliate Kit is available from the Deliver Your Content module on iTunes Connect.