Good Technology releases Mobility Index Report for Q2 and Q3 2013
1000 custom apps built and deployed by Good customers, highlights fastest growing segment of enterprise apps
Key points from the report:
- Total device activations for the quarter rose nearly 60 percent from the same time last year
- There are over 1000 custom apps – those developed internally by an enterprise to automate workflows and business process – built and deployed by Good Technology customers
- Total secure mobile app activations rose nearly 42 percent quarter over quarter
- While Android is gaining enterprise market share on the device side, iOS dominates as platform of choice for enterprise app deployment
- While iOS dominates as platform of choice for enterprise app deployment, Android app enterprise app deployment is experiencing a much more significant growth rate
- At 72 percent of total device activations in Q3, iOS recovered from a slight dip in activations in Q2 at 69 percent
October 17, 2013 –– Good Technology™, the leader in secure mobility solutions, today announced key findings from the Good™ Mobility Index Report for Q2 and Q3 2013. For the first time, the company includes data on the adoption of enterprise applications, in addition to device activations, leveraging insights from the company’s vast and diverse customer base using the Good Dynamics Secure Mobility Platform. The company reported that total device activations for the quarter rose nearly 60 percent from the same time last year, indicating that the rise of mobility continues to grow at a staggering pace and enterprises are choosing Good to protect their data, not just devices. The company also announced 1000 custom applications – those developed internally by an enterprise to streamline business process – have been built and securely deployed by customers on Good Dynamics®.
This milestone closely aligns with Good’s most recent activation data, which reveals the most rapid growth in enterprise apps is being driven by the adoption of custom enterprise applications, at an astounding rate of 52 percent quarter over quarter. In total, Good found that the number of mobile app activations rose 42 percent quarter over quarter, pointing to the growth of enterprise apps developed by ISVs and enterprises alike.
From a device standpoint, iOS continues to lead in device activations, but saw a slight wobble in numbers, dropping 3 percent quarter over quarter, to 72% in Q3. Android™ saw an increase in activations, 30 percent and 27 percent of total activations respectively, in Q2 and Q3.
“As we continue to see tremendous adoption of secure enterprise mobility across our customer base, platform diversity remains a key theme,” said Christy Wyatt, CEO and President, Good Technology. “It’s promising to see our extensive base of Good customers embracing the transformative opportunity that comes with harnessing the power of mobile apps, not just mobile devices.”
The Mobility Index Report also indicated that iOS dominated as the platform for enterprise application development, with 98 percent and 95 percent of total app activations in Q2 and Q3 respectively. However, Android enterprise application development is experiencing more significant growth, as the number of Android app activations nearly tripled quarter over quarter.
Additional report findings include:
- Tablets are the most popular device for mobile app usage, with 81 percent of applications activated in Q3 on this form factor.
- Document editing emerges as the largest single commercial application category, capturing 56 percent of all activations.
- Android smartphones have seen the greatest increase in total activations at 27 percent in Q3, up from 21 percent in Q1 2013.
- The Manufacturing industry recorded tremendous growth quarter over quarter with 32 percent increase in share of iPad activations.
An ongoing initiative to track activations across the breadth of mobile platforms and devices, the report leverages findings from the more than 5,000 Good customers worldwide to highlight global mobility trends and usage patterns. The full report is available to view in PDF.
About the Good Mobility Index Report
The more than 5,000 customers represented in this report include bellwether companies– from Financial Services, Healthcare, Manufacturing, Energy & Utilities, Legal, Government, and High Tech–making this data report a benchmark for mobility adoption. The metrics cited in this report are generated directly from Good’s internal data, as aggregated from all devices activated across Good’s worldwide customer base.