RetailMeNot Coupons issues major update to its iPhone app that integrates Passbook with location-based coupons
Old media companies like newspapers were given an unbelievable opportunity back in 2008 when Apple opened up the iPhone to third party apps. Suddenly a brand new medium, mobile, was available to them to try and reclaim categories where they had lost, or were losing business.
Geolocation. many believed was the key. Classified ads, coupons, other retail could not be localized and those building new apps could talk to their local clients about a new form of advertising.
Well, few have bothered to launch apps based on advertising rather than editorial content. As a result, an incredible opening has occurred and companies are taking advantage.
The online coupon space is pretty crowded with start-ups, so staying up-to-date is essential. Today RetailMeNot Coupons updated their iPhone app and added in some important new features.
Version 2.0 utilizes what Apple gives them: geolocation, push notifications, Passbook. Here is what the new version says it has to offer now:
• When shopping at malls, get a list of relevant deals sent directly to your phone.
• You can now add RetailMeNot coupons to Passbook for even easier mobile redemption.
Coupon Expiration Alerts
• Get alerted when your saved coupons are about to expire.
Find Nearby Stores
• Find the stores that are closest to where you are.
Support for iPhone 5 and iOS 6
• Optimized for new screen size and iOS 6 features.