Twitter issues yet another update to its iOS apps
Users have been complaining about the official Twitter apps since the demise of Tweetie and the new app updates issued yesterday don’t seem to quite end the complaints.
The new updates brings Twitter’s official iOS apps up to version 4.1. The app description shows only changes to the iPhone app, which, again, will not make iPad owners very happy as the tablet app has never been seen to be as good as the mobile app.
Here are the listed change to the iPhone app:
- Swipe shortcut
- Copy and paste for tweets and profiles
- Press and hold actions on links in tweet details
- Font size settings
- Direct Message improvements
- Confirmation alert for Find Friends
- Improved startup time and general performance improvement
- Improved image quality in tweet detail
- Accessibility improvements
- Profile shows whether a user follows you
- Verified badges in people search results
- New language: Turkish
- Lots of other polish and bug fixes
App Store customers are a tough crowd to please, as many developers will attest, and not surprisingly, the early reviews for the new updates apps are mixed at best. The very first review probably sums it up best: “Still really bad, still sad to see Tweetie gone.”
Twitter is said to be also issuing a version for the NOOK this week, and an Android version is also available for Kindle Fire owners, as well. The apps, of course, remain free of charge to download and use.
Update: Opps, forgot to add that I have not updated my own Twitter apps because of the complaints of users, so I am using a screenshot from the app description. NOT updating an app can prove hard since I update my apps through iTunes on my desktop rather than directly through my iOS device. Both the Twitter and Facebook apps remain not updated to this day.